AGRICULTURAL BUSINESS INITIATIVE
TERMS OF REFERENCE
SHORT TERM VOLUNTEER POSITION IN VALUE CHAIN DEVELOPMENT (VCD) UNIT
The Agricultural Business Initiative (aBi) is a social enterprise that channels development cooperation funding to agribusinesses and agricultural service providers in Uganda with the aim of building a strong and competitive agriculture sector. aBi is a multi-donor entity jointly founded by the Governments of Denmark and Uganda. The mandate of aBi is to support private sector actors to increase their contribution to the agricultural sector by increasing land and labour productivity and market competitiveness thereby contributing to poverty reduction through economic growth, wealth, and employment creation.
Value Chain Development unit is in need of a volunteer to support the unit in carrying out a range of administrative and project-related work for a period of 6 months.
- Objectives of the Assignment
aBi seeks to hire a volunteer to provide administrative and technical support to the Value Chain Development Unit.
3. Scope of Work
The volunteer’s roles shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Support the Portfolio Management team in assembling Documents for Project appraisal, approval and Contracting, in accordance with aBi’s policies and procedures
- Support the Portfolio Management team in the collection of project expenditure and other data that will result in accurate budgeting and resource utilisation for each project
- Support the VCD unit in logistics and administration work related to projects including, but not limited to, support for meetings, events, etc.
- Support implementing partners in producing Quarterly Reports on time by closely working with the IT support Team.
- Support the VCD unit to carry out communications and advocacy activities as per the communications strategy and plan
- Provide general administrative support and record-keeping to assist the smooth operations of the department
- Any other duties as assigned by the Head of Portfolio.
5. Liaison and reporting
The volunteer shall work under the overall responsibility and supervision of the Head of Portfolio but on a day-to-day basis will offer the support to Portfolio Development Managers and Intervention Managers.
6. Duration and Facilitation
The assignment is expected to last for 6 months commencing in February 2021. No salary shall be paid for the assignment; however, aBi will pay a modest allowance per month for transport and subsistence, conditional on satisfactory deliverables.
One week prior to the completion of the assignment, the volunteer will submit a hand over report to the Head of Portfolio. The report shall summarize the assignments handled over the period.
8. Required Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate for the placement should have a Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness or related degree.
The candidate must have a minimum of 6 months to 1 years’ postgraduation experience in a development organisation or business. Previous internship or volunteer placement will count towards candidate’s experience. Must be able to work independently, have good attention to detail, prioritize work assignments, meet deadlines, and be familiar with basic MS applications especially MS Excel spreadsheets, excellent English language skills, both verbal and written.
How to Apply:
Please send an updated CV and application letter giving a day time telephone contact and name, email addresses of 3 (three) referees (work related) only through our recruitment email: firstname.lastname@example.org clearly indicating in the email subject as “Volunteer – Value Chain Development Unit.” Deadline for submissions is Friday 5th February 2021 at 12:30pm. Please note that only successful candidates will be contacted. Canvassing will lead to disqualification. ONLY ELECTRONIC APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.